Three Modules Include:
The Foundation Level - gives a basic understanding of the roasting process, including the roast cycle and how to control sensory aspects of the coffee by roasting light or dark. The subjects and tests are designed to be relevant for people who will use the certification process to consider if the vocation as a coffee roaster suits them.
Roaster Intermediate Level - builds on the basics covered in Foundation and covers roast defects, the physical changes that beans undergo during the roasting process, as well as workspace management and lean production. Students are tested in skills in understanding, designing and executing different roast profiles as well a sensory recognition of different roast defects. Students are introduced to different chemical conditions and principles that are causing the physical properties and reactions introduced at the foundational level. It is expected that they are able to name these reactions and what they cause in terms of physical and sensory properties of the final coffee. A practical and theoretical test needs to be done satisfactorily to pass and become certified.
Create a membership here:
Then sign up here:
Steps for registering intent for a SCA course:
1. Go to sca.coffee
2. Click on “Education” in the navigation bar and select, “Learner Login”
3. Select your region
4. Now login with your SCA profile login credentials
5. scroll under “Events” and select “TRAINERS AND LEARNERS: Click here to view Course Calendar”
6. The SCA Course Calendar is now up and when you select your course you want , “Submit your Registration”
7. You will receive an email that you have registered
8. The Trainer will contact you with Payment Details